Jim Akers – Business Coach
Jim Akers has a lifelong desire to be the best business coach. To do this, he focuses on helping people “get success right.” In order to get success right, you need to understand and prioritize the roles you play. Align your time, talent, and money with your most important roles to increase the quality of your impact on your family, your work, and your community.
Jim Akers completed his undergraduate work at Washington State University, and his M.B.A. at Pepperdine University. He started his career is sales, where he won numerous sales awards with Northwestern Mutual Life, Owens-Corning Fiberglas and International Paper. Mr. Akers was one of the youngest Group Vice Presidents in International Paper history where he lead a $1 billion dollar business with over 1,200 employees. He is the author of three books including his latest, Tape Breakers, How To Maximize Your Impact With People You Love, Teams You Lead, and Causes that Stir Your Heart, which was a #1 New Release on Amazon. After 25 years in senior corporate leadership, he took the opportunity to pursue his love of coaching, speaking and writing and formed J. D. Akers & Associates.
- Sales background – influencing people to take action. Everybody sells!
- Ability to ask open-ended questions, “Tell me how you’re doing. What’s your biggest area of concern?”
- “Trust is built of 2 qualities: Character and Competency.”
- Hard work is very important to success.
- Tape Breakers, By Jim Akers
- What is your “Why.” It’s your purpose for doing anything.
- Who is your coach? Do you have a plan?
- “Everyone has the same amount of time, but what differentiates us is how we spend it.”
- How much time do you allocate to professional time? to personal growth time?
- There’s never a good time to start something new. Might as well do it now.
- If you read 15 minutes per day- 30 books in a year!
- Look at the amount of time you are wasting. Write down what you are doing in 30 minute increments for one week.
- “Life is really a series of yes and no answers.”
- Keys to communication: Keep it simple (Elevator Speech in 30-60 seconds). Work on questioning skills. Surround yourself with good people.
- Gain clarity of your destination.
- “Feedback is the breakfast of champions,” said Ken Blanchard.
- Who do you want to remembered by? What do you want to be remembered for? Focus on the important things.
- Great leaders care about people professionally and personally. The best leaders are servants.
- People will work for: a Leader, a cause, money.
- 5:1 Positive affirmations to Correction.
- Can employees name top 5 important things about their job?
- Train employees and make expectations clear.
- Actionable content: What is your vision? How have you communicated the vision? Get someone to evaluate your business – Feedback.
- Lesson learned: Engaging a coach can expedite a process you may struggle with.
- Personal hero: His father
- Daily schedule: Business development, Content Development, Personal Development
- Favorite book: Good to Great in God’s Eyes
- Best business advice: “If you put your family first, you’ll never be disappointed.”
- Text CHIRO1121 to 33444 for Impact Planning Tool – 6 Steps to Your Best Day Ever
Like what you hear? Subscribe!
If you’ve found any value or helpful information in the Chiro Business Mojo Podcast then we’d love to hear about it! Please head over to iTunes and subscribe. While you’re at it, leave us a rating (5 stars would be great) and a review so others can find us! If you have any questions or comments about this show or its contents, please post them in the comments area below and we’ll be happy to answer them!
Check out this episode!