- Wendy Keller is an award-winning former journalist, a respected literary agent, an author, speaker and acclaimed book marketing consultant. She got her first job as a newspaper reporter as a 16 year old college freshman. Since then, Wendy worked for PR Newswire; the Knight-Ridder newspaper chain; as managing editor of Dateline magazine; and as associate publisher of Los Angeles’ and later, the second-largest Spanish language weekly, La Gaceta.
- Wendy was 26 when her own first book was published. Today, she is the author of 31 published books under 9 pseudonyms and 11 self-published books. She has been a featured guest on 53 television programs, including Dr Phil, Dateline NBC, CBS The Early Show, Hannity and Colmes, and more. She has been a guest on +500 radio shows, primarily in North America, and has been interviewed/quoted in The Chicago Tribune, New York Post, The Wall Street Journal, and many more. She has personally taught +20,000 authors how to get published; and over 7,500 people how to get started as paid, professional speakers ? a major method for selling lots of copies of a book. She founded what is now Keller Media, Inc. as “ForthWrite Literary Agency” in 1989.
- Keller Media: sells books to publishers, building platforms to build businesses
- Being a regional expert – distinguish yourself from other businesses in your area.
- Personality determines what type of platform you should build.
- Building a platform will help your business in as little as 60 days!
- Writing a book – you must have a platform!
- Specialty, interviews, articles, etc are all part of your platform.
- Non-fiction book proposal is like a business plan for your book. Agent sells it to a publisher. Write the book. Publish the book. Get media.
- If you don’t have a platform, will have to self publish, and will not be as successful.
- Wendy does a mock consultation about how to take a platform and turn it into revenue.
- Test strategies before spending a lot of money.
- Language, color, theme, etc. all contribute to success of platforms.
- Meeting planner will arrange the speaking engagements you will be booked with.
- Demo real, website, social media – all contribute to your likelihood of getting booked to speak at an event.
- 45-60 minutes is a typical amount of time that speaking engagements take.
- If you are teaching or training, use powerpoint.
- Wendy shares a personal story of a set back she suffered in her life. With the decision to get through it, things will improve.
- Heroes: Andrew Carnegie, Tony Robbins, etc.
- Rituals: Wake up in a good mood, Journaling, Rowing and Lifting weights, Meditation.
- Favorite Book: The Ultimate Guide to Platform Building by Wendy Keller. The Art of Woo. Think and Grow Rich
- Best business advice: “It’s about them- shift your perspective”
- Contact: http://www.kellermedia.com/
Like what you hear? Subscribe!
If you’ve found any value or helpful information in the Chiro Business Mojo Podcast then we’d love to hear about it! Please head over to iTunes and subscribe. While you’re at it, leave us a rating (5 stars would be great) and a review so others can find us! If you have any questions or comments about this show or its contents, please post them in the comments area below and we’ll be happy to answer them!
Check out this episode!